Sunday, July 31, 2016

I Cannot Collect Butterflies.

I had a grampy who taught me my first hobby-butterfly collecting. Ironic on so many levels because he was a conscientious objector during WW2, and yet, he adored the brutal art of preserving beauty and making it your own by spearing the heads of butterflies with pins and letting them writhe to death in a tailor-made showcase, in appreciation of Life. He was very careful not to touch the wings, as that would damage them. He also played the chapel organ for forty years in the small village where he was the patron of the village pub- as I said ironic on many levels.

As much as I would like, I cannot collect butterflies-the true appreciation of something like a butterfly, is to see it free, where you know it is happy and not trapped in a place it should not be.
(Gerry Aldridge ©2016)